Market Focus: Energy
- Dec 16 Mish’s Take: What’s Behind the Plunge in Oil? Boon to Spending or Recessionary? by Michael Shedlock
- Dec 16 Competition Finally Upsets the Biggest Monopoly of All: OPEC by Walter Donway
- Dec 13 Weekday Wrap-Up: No Hyperinflation, Years of Low Oil Prices, and a Bubble in Stocks by FS Staff
- Dec 12 What Hindenburg Omens and an Oil Crash Mean by Tom McClellan
- Dec 12 Dollar Consolidates as Oil Slide Continues by Marc Chandler
- Dec 12 Oil Wars: Why OPEC Will Win by Oil Price
- Dec 11 Could the Fed Trigger a Deflationary Slide in Stocks? by Chris Ciovacco
- Dec 11 Why I’ve Finally Thrown in the Towel on the TSX by Jeff Rubin
- Dec 11 Drilling Down Into the Oil Situation by Sheraz Mian
- Dec 11 Energy Sector Woes Continue to Weigh on Market as Risks of Default Increase by Chris Puplava
Jim Puplava’s Big Picture: The New World Oil Order (Part 2) – The Paper Chase and the Oil Glut
Dec 13 – Last week in the Big Picture Jim delved into the causes of oil’s big decline. This week, Jim will follow up on this theme, discussing a number of important questions; is this trend in oil permanent? If not, how long will it last? What will be the impact on the economy, good or bad?
Jim Puplava’s Big Picture: The New World Oil Order
Dec 6 – In Jim’s first Big Picture topic, he explores what has changed since July, when the price of WTI crude was $107 a barrel and is now selling in the $66 range. Has the world changed that much in five months? Jim looks at global economic growth rates, as well as the global supply of oil. He also discusses the critical topic of a shifting power structure in energy.
Jim Puplava’s Big Picture: Oil Wars - Risks and Opportunities
Nov 8 – This week on the Big Picture Jim and Erik Townsend join forces to cover a topic of crucial importance to the global economy, the “war” over oil and it’s price going forward. Many market observers thought there was an effective $100 floor under Brent crude.
Jim Puplava’s Big Picture: Stocks vs. Bonds – Do You Really Understand the Risk?
Oct 18 – In the first Big Picture topic this week, Jim compares the risk of stocks vs. bonds. Volatility has increased in the stock market and this week money was pouring into the bond market after stocks corrected, driving interest rates to the lowest levels since 2013.
Peak Oil Reports
- BP Energy Outlook 2030
- BP Statistical Review
- DoE: Critical Materials Strategy
- IEA Oil Market Report
- Oil: The Next Revolution (Harvard)
- Sustainable Energy Security (Chatham)
- The Oil Crunch (ITPOES)
- Shell Energy Scenarios to 2050
- Status of World Oil Reserves ($)
- The Next Oil Shock (NZ Parliament)
- The Export Capacity Index (ASPO-USA)
"Oil and natural gas are depleting resources. Investment in these areas will be important in the years ahead." — Jim Puplava
"...we passed the peak on December 16, 2005." — Kenneth S. Deffeyes